Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sticking With Blogger (Update)

Moving Away From Blogger


Less than 24 hours in, and I'm already not liking Blogger. I'm sure it's useful for most people, but the lack of code support made my first "real" post a pain. Also, I couldn't find any themes I really liked. After posting that code, I realized how skinny that main column is. I figure I should find the right tool NOW before I have too many posts that may be hard to migrate.

I'd like to try WordPress, since I have some experience with the software from a web languages course I took in college. I notice they offer free hosting as well.


Update: I tried Wordpress. Not useful. I'm a bit of a control freak; I like to be able to control the layout of my blog. With Wordpress, you have to pay to customize.

Looking again at the customization options for Blogger, I think I'll give it another go.  And I mostly like the Rounders template I picked.  The fact that it is optimized for 800x600 was it's major drawback, but now that I see that I can easily customize it, not a problem.  Same goes with code formatting; I used a Blogger code-format tool to generate ugly chunks of HTML/CSS around each piece of code.  I should be able to roll that formatting into my template CSS, and get by with a simple <pre><code></code></pre>

I've already done some tweaking to the template; with just a little modification, it's now "optimized" for 1024x768.  I'd really like to change it to "stretch" or fill up the horizontal space available.  I think with a little work, that should be possible.  I'm hoping to recycle the original Rounders corner images, so I don't have to host my own... we'll see how that goes.

0 comments: